Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Storm Survivor


Olivia plaid blouse c/o Mary Meyer, X-Girl jacket, J.W. Anderson x Topshop kilt, Hunter boots

When I was ten, my best friend and I entered ourselves in the Point O'Woods costume contest as "Storm Survivors," donning torn cut-off shorts and holey tees, and rolling around in the sand as a reference to the local residents battling the particularly inclement weather on that area of Fire Island.  We won the contest, and now, as Halloween rolls around, I ironically find myself in the position of being one of many very real storm survivors.  While I hardly have it as bad as many others across the East Coast, I found myself leaving my powerless apartment with the clothes on back and a few other essentials.

Now that I am at my parents' place, I've found some old favorites from my teenage closet that seem to go perfectly well with the Mary Meyer plaid blouse that the designer kindly sent me, and which I wore when I left my house.  Mary was inspired by the 90's this season, including goth culture, wheat paste punk fliers, and the movie Clueless, creating the perfect skater dress named after the film's famously ditzy fashion-forward star, Cher.  I've been wearing the dolman sleeve crop top non-stop, and been using it to recreate the uniform of my grunge-filled youth: plaid shirt, kilt (I've upgraded from my school uniform to one from J.W. Anderson x Topshop), and an X-Girl faux fur lined jacket that was begging to be revived.

While Mary's nailed all the essentials, to complete the rest of your 90's wardrobe, check out her new shop with her BFF Emma Joe, Friends Vintage, which you can find online or at the Mary Meyer shop in Bushwick.  I'm personally considering ordering this Bergdorf Goodman black slit skirt, which is a steal for $58.  If you're in NYC, make sure to stop by for the launch party at 56 Bogart St. on Saturday, November 17th!





-Tiffany

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Punk Glam Queen http://ideefixemon.blogspot.com said...

Sorry to hear you had to leave due to no power, I hope it's restored soon. But I'm glad to hear you are safe at your parents! XXX

girlinthelens said...

Cute outfit and I love those items you picked :) x

http://girlinthelens.com/