Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year, New DIY

DIY Rodarte-inspired cardigan, Six Six Sick ribbon top and ruff collar, hand-me-down vintage skirt from my mom, Triskaidekaphobia Necklace, H&M socks

I'm not one to make New Year's resolutions, but I figure that maybe if I write one down here, there will be a greater chance that I actually make good on it. I only have one resolution, that encompasses all the areas of my life. In 2011, I hope to be more proactive about getting things done, whether it's meeting deadlines, returning emails, invoicing clients, or just cleaning my house. I also want to make sure I finish all the projects I get started on, whether it's jewelry, blog, or DIY related. I am a master procrastinator, and even though I have the best intentions, I only end up completing half of what I set out to do.

I've started by getting my first DIY of the year done as quickly as possible. Since I always need more sweaters, I knit myself this Rodarte-inspired cardigan during the Christmas/New Year holidays. It only took me about a week, and involved watching plenty of good movies (Exit Through The Gift Shop, I'm Still Here, Toy Story 3) and bad TV (not telling). Although it's loose-knit, it's surprisingly warm. I plan to do a lot more knitting in the next few months (more scarves and cowls are definitely needed), so hopefully I will keep up the momentum to get them all done before the end of winter!






-Tiffany

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

laia. said...

um, this is AMAZING.

White Lightning said...

AMAZING AMAZING AAAAMMMAAAZZINGGGGG

Amanda said...

omg dude you are so talented!!! i would pay for one..

Suzanne said...

I'm not one to make and keep resolutions either. I think it's much better to do so somewhere throughout the year! Writing it on your blog might help too haha. Well, doing a DIY is a good start. It look lovely and I really like how you added that orang-y thick yarn which is so different from the rest. Really amazing!

Nav said...

brilliant images. Just wanted to say that us girls at Tantrum magazine absolutely LOVE triskaidekaphobia jewellery, your pieces are amazing!

x

http://tantrummagazine.blogspot.com/

the moon and mars said...

Love this. Every bit of it! Happy New Year!

Brandon Acton-Bond said...

Umm Tiffany when are you going to teach me this? Hell when are you going to end up teaching this at FIT?

Rosiepop said...

those colours and textures rock

Jin Ai said...

This entire outfit has left me speechless.

Just wondering - I know (i think?) you don't use patterns, so what is the general way in which you go about knitting a cardigan - like what shaping and special techniques do you need? I'd like to make something similar and don't really want to follow a pattern :P

Six Six Sick said...

Hi Jin Ai,

I didn't use a pattern, but it's fairly easy to knit. I didn't really do much in terms of shaping, only around the neckline. I decreased the stitches gradually to create a slight v-line, but I didn't do any armhole shaping since the look of the sweater is loose enough that it doesn't require any special finishing. Plus, once I knit the ribbing on it sort of finished it off and shaped it nicely. I didn't use any special knitting techniques or stitches at all--the only thing I did was selectively drop a few stitches here and there to create the open fishnet look, making sure to go back and add the exact number I dropped along the way. Let me know if you have any questions, and good luck!

xx
Tiffany