Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Head Games Pt. I

I'm heading to the Kentucky Derby next week, and the main reason my husband convinced me to embark on this adventure is the promise of an excuse to wear a crazy hat. I thus have impunity to buy myself a new hat without having to listen to him complain about how much clothing I already have (we are constantly battling for closet space), and have spent a good percentage of my free time perusing the internet for the perfect Derby hat. Not content to settle for one, I've already bought myself a few hats and headpieces, and came across plenty more that I can only admire, because they're out of my price range. One of my favorite millinery designers is J Smith Esquire, from London. To me, Justin Smith's hats evoke all of the fantasy, drama, and majesty associated with haute head pieces, without falling into any of the traditional church-lady tropes of traditional wide-brimmed hats. Perfect for the Derby, no? Here are a few of the pieces on my dream list from his Fall 2010 collection. I'll show you the ones that I actually got later...


Stumble Upon Toolbar


Insomnia said...

Pretty nice work!
Adore hats and headpieces, they're so dramatic.
Curious to see what you bought.

Maggie said...

love the hooded one!

Daisy said...

Oh gosh! How fantastic , thanks for sharing these !

melina bee said...

I just adore the one with the felted antlers!!!
melina bee