Saturday, October 31, 2009

Lucky Little Shark: Happy DIY Halloween!

DIY felt shark, American Apparel gold swimsuit, CK tights, Forever 21 shoes

Christina and I have been planning on making these Shark Attack! costumes since last Halloween, but we ran out of time and ended up dressed as Republicans, with business suits and secretary blouses borrowed from Screaming Mimi's. This year though, we were determined to make it happen, and luckily we got it together in time to wear to our party at Butter last night. We weren't the only ones dressed as beasts: Greg K showed up wearing his Where the Wild Things Are x Opening Ceremony Max sweatshirt, and scary pigs and sexy bunnies were also present for a full on Animal Planet vibe. Although it was little hard to dance/do anything social whatsoever, it's one of my favorite Halloween costumes I've ever had, and didn't take much time to put together. There are plenty of DIY instructions online for this costumes, but here's a short summary of how we did it, using gray, red, white and black felt, and a tiny bit of copper wire.

Christina cut the bodies out of gray felt, and lined the inside of the body with red felt.

We cut a hole in the front of the costume for the mouth, and lined the edges with white felt teeth. We made a shark's fin out of the left over gray felt, and added it to the back, along with two black felt eyes.

As a finishing touch, we tacked a strip of cooper wire along the inside edge to keep the shape of the shark nose area in tact. We wore the outfits two ways: as a hood, and off to the side, for the full eaten-alive-effect.

-Tiffany

Stumble Upon Toolbar

24 comments:

Mouthwash said...

hahaha! So cute! Have a happy Halloween!

Amber

ambersmouthwash

noirohio vintage said...

what a sweet costume. So talented!! Happy Halloween
xo

InnyVinny said...

I LOVE THIS!!!!!

Isabel said...

This is probably the most epic Halloween costume ever created. 10 points to you guys.

laia. said...

genius

minorkeys1@gmail.com said...

the costume is original and so very charming. nice to see what you can do with felt. well done!
minorkeys1.blogspot.com

Denise said...

OMG!!! I saw someone in a version of this in West Hollywood, he was a surfer guy who got attacked by a shark! But your version is far better, his was half-assed... hope you had a ton of fun !!!

bleeding hearts said...

You guys are brilliant (as always). I love the costume!

The Stylemaster said...

hahah SO CLEVER. you deserve a 'best dressed' prize for sure!

Kristina said...

Love your costum and all your selfmade clothes. Your blog is one of my favourite - it's just so creativ and woonderful!!

JJ said...

I would totally wear this as a normal, everyday outfit... LULZ

Daisy said...

So so fantastic !!

Joshua said...

SO FUCKING CUTE!!!! ARGGGHHHH.

Connie said...

AMAZING costume! Hope you had a great night.


The Heartbreak

Rowena said...

he he MARVellous!!!

fatgirlslikeniceclothestoo said...

That is THE BEST halloween outfit I've seen this year!

Teresa said...

Oh my! I think I know what I'm going to be for next Halloween! I love it!!

Kat George said...

You're so fucking adorable. x

SylarISTheGoodGuy said...

I'm wondering if you could possibly send me instructions/pattern on how to make this. I'm having trouble finding how to make this on the internet.

Thanks!

P.S I love your blog.

SarahOxford said...

I love this! Can you e-mail me the full instructions?

Stephanie LoPresti said...

I would love to do this for halloween this year!!! Can you email me the instructions on how to make the shark costume, can't find it online :(
Thanks!
-Stephanie

Katie7722 said...

I would also like instructions or photos of the pieces of fabric before they were seen together! You guys are awesome.

Katie7722 said...

I would also like instructions or photos of the pieces of fabric before they were seen together! You guys are awesome.

Kylee said...

This is the most EPIC costume! I was wondering if you had instructions or a pattern that you followed that you would share. I would love to dress up like this for Halloween as my husband is going as a fisherman. Thanks!