Saturday, October 24, 2009

Antti Asplund on Finnish Project Runway


I stopped watching American Project Runway a while ago. After Bravo's sham of a replacement, The Fashion Show, and the tepid Lifetime Channel revival of the original program both produced unspectacular contestants and terrible clothes. Perhaps it might have been more interesting if I had known any of them (Christina knew two of the contestants on this season's Project Runway, which compelled her to watch at least a couple of episodes), so I could at least have somebody to root for.

Thus it's somewhat disappointing that they don't broadcast other Project Runways from around the world over here, cause my friend Antti Asplund is a contestant on this season's Finnish version. I can't vouch for the quality of Project Runway abroad (I saw a few clips of the Canadian version, which seemed disastrous, even with Iman hosting), but just taking a peek at some of the pictures from their website, it's worth tuning in just to see the progression of Antti's neckwear from day to day. Whether it's a Elizabethan poet's ruff made out of newspaper, or a wee marionette man hanging from his neck, Antti never ceases to surprise with his outlandish attire. I swear, he gets crazier and crazier every single time I see him. I might not be able to watch the show (and even if I could, I wouldn't be able to understand it!), but trust me, I'm rooting for him hardcore.





-Tiffany

Stumble Upon Toolbar

15 comments:

La Chauve-Souris said...

omg Im so obsessed with this brqnd we made a hole post with my friend on him awsome

xxx


hope ure doing fine... always a fan of your blog

somedaynewyorker said...

I love the oversized gold bow around his neck. This version of Project Runway looks a lot more original and artistic than the American version.

Kb said...

I've heard of this too, over on Outsapop trashion they had some cool knitwear deconstruction. I hate how the US season has become so stale and has repetitive challenges. I'd quite like to watch the finnish version with subtitles.

http://www.outsapop.com/2009/10/project-runway-finland-recycled-sweater.html

Isabel said...

That guy's style is just insane! I'm pretty much loving it.

InnyVinny said...

I wish we could watch it over here, too. The clothes I've seen look infinitely better than what this season has produced.

K said...

wonderful. every time i've seen this kid on the style blogs, i've related a lot to his aesthetic. would be cool to be able to tune into this but whatever. best luck to him.

Christian Castillo said...

That guy looks like he knows what he's doing and he is assured with himself and yet has fun.

And as some people have said, this Project Runway looks like it allows for more creativity and not all this 'practical' shizz, although, that's nice too.

May Kasahara said...

I'm loving him and his devilish grin.

Dannie said...

cuuuuute
i loove his bold uniqueness :)
and the model is waay cute!

Ilse said...

no way this is pure coincidence, I just watched an episode of that show for the first time a minute ago and now I read this!! I was indeed like wtf is that thé Antti Asplund? haha
I would recommend watching it, didn't understand a word of what they were saying but hey, Antti Asplund?!

Poisoned Amour said...

awh, yeah i totally miss project runway. (american)
this version looks so much better tho!
thanks for the kind comment babe :)

A La Mode said...

Awww those two look so cute side by side!

Helen said...

Oh, it's great to read stuff like this! I live in tiny Helsinki and sometimes see Antti downtown. Great that he gets appreciation outside the borders of Helsinki!

queengilda said...

oh my god, he is my twin (except i am asian and can't speak finnish). i love his style to bits. ahhh!

Jenna said...

love him <3 i´m lucky and i can watch the show + understand it :D btw. he´s a great boss too ;)