Thursday, July 16, 2009

Urban Spoils

Rapscallion by Samantha Pleet romper, Marc Jacobs heels, Moschino heart shaped bag

After the DIY or DIE event at Urban Outfitters, Andie and Kate were kind enough to put together a special goody bag for those of us who helped organize the afternoon. In addition to an U.O. gift certificate, which I used to buy this Rapscallion by Samantha Pleet romper and new DJ headphones, we got some nailpolish, a jersey dress, and this awesome DIY necklace kit based on a design by Anni Albers. Anni Albers was one of the original members of the Bauhaus, and designed these grosgrain and washer necklaces during WWII, demonstrating that you can craft something beautiful out of something inexpensive and commonplace. I love the necklace, which seems to marry Margiela's use of common objects, and Lanvin's elegant use of grosgrain, yet predates both of these houses' jewelry designs by half a century. The resulting effect looks almost like a string of giant metal sequins, and I've been wearing it so often now that I'm ready to DIY myself a second longer version in black.

DIY Anni Albers washer and grosgrain ribbon necklace

The grey, cobalt blue and black nailpolishes that I ended up taking home with me!

-Tiffany

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

Kb said...

I love that romper, it's so cute! great buy! Those DIY necklaces are a cool idea.

white mice said...

I love designs from the Bauhaus era and this seems to be just the aesthetics I love (a little hard a little soft). Looks great. Seems like UO is getting better and better when it comes to new DIY projects anyone can try.

You look great in the romper. Perfect for the season Hope the summer in NY is being good to you.

carlyjcais said...

Oh, so awesome! Never thought of using washers in that way! I'll have to raid my hardware chest :-)

Check out my DIY's on my blog Chic Steals!
http://chicsteals.blogspot.com
xoxox
Carly

InnyVinny said...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!! That necklace is great. I might have to diy that myself. =D

liana said...

that is awesome, great idea.

Isabel said...

I love that romper! It looks awesome. At first I thought it was a tiny dress though! Hahaha.

Connie said...

Love the DIY necklace, I want one for myself!

The Heartbreak

Pammy said...

oooh man that's so funny because I used the gift card to get the peach samantha pleet romper. Great minds think alike. haha

Daisy said...

Those shoes are so hot!

styleslicker said...

awwww cute handbag....I want one :)

Kristin said...

That necklace is incredible! What an incredible. DIY.

Lydia said...

Love everything about this! The romper is sick (I've been dreaming of it for months) and I LOVE that necklace =D

swallow glitter said...

love the outfit and i'm DYING over that moschino heart bag. so so cool.