Monday, April 27, 2009

Scissor Sisters: DIY Alexander Wang Slash Dress!

Nicollette wearing the slash dress to our party at Webster Hall.  Photo by Joshua Bartky.


Are you sick of slashes already?  I know the slashed pant has been DIY'd to death, but the slash dress has yet to have its spot in the limelight.  Christina made these amazing Alexander Wang inspired slash dresses a month ago for herself and Nicollette while I was out of town, and was sweet enough to make me one to match last week. While she made the black dress, as well as the nude dress worn underneath, it's very easy to replicate the technique on any store bought jersey dress, for those of you who don't know how to sew! Here's how Christina made the dress.

The original inspiration piece, this slashed dress from the Alexander Wang Fall 09 show.  Christina made it literally about 2 weeks after it hit the runway!  Photo from Style.com


1. Measure a 1-inch area at the center of the dress, and using tailor's chalk, draw a line running down each side of the 1-inch area. Measure 1/2" away from the edge of both the left and the right side of the dress, and draw a line running down the sides.

2. Using fabric sheers, cut slashes between the two parallel white lines. Christina spaced her slashes about 3/4" apart.

I hope that all of you who have complained about not being able to follow our DIY's in the past (I know my Rodarte Knitting isn't exactly a beginner DIY) will give this one a try, and share the results with us!!!

Wearing my slash dress to Six Six Sick last Tuesday!  I love wearing it over the nude, but I can't wait to try layering it over different colored dresses too!
-Tiffany

Stumble Upon Toolbar

24 comments:

robyn said...

i love when you do DIY posts. this dress is very cool!

i highly recommend wearing printed mesh underneath (think old gaultier). i do this with an old slashed back tee i have, and it looks pretty neat <3

somewherebetweenwakingandsleeping said...

sick! love it.

Cruz said...

I love it over the nude too, great idea!

Too Many Tights said...

Awesome. You are a talented girl... :0

And, yeah, I'm not over the slits and slashes thing yet:

http://toomanytights.typepad.com/toomanytights/2009/04/legs-.html

:)

funiculifunicula said...

oh my god, I can't believe it's taken me this long to find this! I'm currently at sophomore at swat right now and it's really nice to see swatties interested in fashion. Re: the ye olde swarthmore post--I am now determined to try and make another runway show happen in Upper Tarble!

fashiongeometry said...

love this diy, i should try this very soon!

Natalie said...

i LOVE this blog, great DIY tips! I'm moving to NYC this summer, can't wait to go to one of your parties!

http://natalieinboots.blogspot.com

pigtails and blushing cheeks said...

wow! this is definitely new, love it!! fresh change from the slash jeans .

Ivania said...

I'm a bit obsessed by nude and layering, the black slashed dress with the nude underneath it is such a strong combination, love it!

La Chauve-Souris said...

freakin amazing DIY!!! you inspired me for so many stuff and project, thank's you blog is insane!

adding you to my blogroll

xx
the bat

Twobreadsplease said...

I love all your DIY posts, they're brilliant. The dresses look wonderful and it sounds so easy to do too, yay! x

trigg and trig. said...

holy shit well done.
love your guys' header!
xoxo

MERMAID HAIR said...

hot. i actually remember alex buying this crazy gareth pugh dress for halloween last year. http://www.style.com/slideshows/fashionshows/S2008RTW/PUGH/RUNWAY/00020m.jpg it's basically made out of strips of leather. i'm sure that was his big inspiration for tao's dress on the runway!! xxx

La Chauve-Souris said...

thank you for your sweet comment,

with our two blog we should definetly open up a DIY office.. could make great money haha ;)

thanks for the link,
I've added u also in my daily check!!! I'll keep on checking ;)

xxx
the bat

kelse said...

okay, so this is an amazing idea

KATLIN said...

So good! Love the nude underneath!

Daisy said...

It looks amazing!

Dorian Vaine said...

ooo....Im going to make one fo sure ;) I say the same thing as Robyn--> love DIY! More posts pls! :D /N

vanillascented.com said...

I just did something similar today actually!! But yours is so much cooler.

LJ said...

AMAZING DIY! you're so talented..
xx-LJ from SOS!

Rosanna said...

love this! i will definitely try this out

www.littlemissdressup.com

Liz! said...

I like this dress with the nude lining...makes it X-tra racey!

Janice Lois said...

Nude underneath make this a unique and stylish Dress. I love it!!

Kat George said...

You both look gorgeous.

I love the way you girls take catwalk trends and brand them with your own unique flavour!

xx