Saturday, April 18, 2009

Jump! Jump!

This plaid Isabel Marant Etoile plaid jumpsuit, which I saw at Bird today, is definitely at the top of my list.  I particularly love the mismatched plaid cuffs, and the general pajama-y style. Photo from Teen Vogue.


J. Lo must be really ahead of my game, cause I'm seriously just picking up on things that she was wearing, like, 4 years ago. First, the freaking floppy hat. Now I'm lusting after jumpsuits. What has happened to me? Not that I would style them the same way as Ms. Lo---I certainly wasn't digging it when she wore it gas-station attendant style with high-heeled Timbs---but I'm just starting to get the unisuit's appeal.  I suppose it's a matter of the shifting period eye.  While they were previously viewed in as kitch, and automatically conjured images of Studio 54, or worse, the aforementioned jumpsuit-loving celebrity, the fickle and ever changing eye of fashion has both revised and recontextualized them in a more modern light.  The effect has been so pronounced that their vintage value has soared---while a couple of seasons ago they were collecting dust in the corner of most vintage boutiques, the prices that they command have been elevated to match their increased runway visibility.  I hate to be a sucker for trends, or worse yet, a victim, but I can't help but love some of the versions out there, which just look so modern and classic.  Here are just a few of my favorites.

A really darling vintage version, complete with peplum, from Bows and Arrows Vintage.  A steal at$29, I would get it if I didn't fear that it would drown me!

A particularly ethereal version from Philip Lim 3.1, which will cost you about $850...
-Tiffany

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Ronnie Heart said...

penny collectorz

call me glitter, little deer said...

that plaid jumpsuit is by isabel marant? i adore her and that first looks is grrreat.

LuxiRare said...

i like the flannel jumpsuit a ton and it would look super cute on!!
Also so funny about that JLO floppy hat comment.

The Stiletto Effect said...

Hi :)

The Stiletto Effect is partnering with chickdowntown.com and GIVING AWAY an "Elizabeth and James" Deconstructed Tee by Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen to ONE LUCKY WINNER!

To enter this Contest just visit my blog!

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THE RULES.

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks
xoxo
Su

May Kasahara said...

I am loving the JLo allusion.