Friday, March 6, 2009

100% Homemade

Green floor length velvet dress made by my mom in the 70's, Six Six Sick chain top, crown and ring my own design.

I will be the first to admit that I have a shopping problem. Still, I only buy something if I'm positive that I can't make it myself, and that I don't already have a similar item in my closet already. In the spirit of thrift, I decided to put together an outfit that's entirely homemade, from "shopping my closet" as the recessionistas (sorry for using that godawful word) say. While pillaging my closets for velvets (which were in abundance on the Fall 09 runways), I found an old green velvet dress that my mother had made for herself in the 70's. When she was growing up, she was truly a DIY queen, and made ALL of her clothes herself.  To complete the outfit, I threw on a draping chain top that Christina and I made for 66S last year in half an hour, working together on a mannequin while watching an episode of Gossip Girl.  I also put on a tiara and a crucifix ring that I made as part of my final collection when I was studying jewelry design at F.I.T.  I had a medieval look in mind when I was putting the outfit together, and the end result is very Lord of the Rings...


-Tiffany

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments:

KATLIN said...

I LOVE how you did the crown with really angular shapes... makes it 'harder' and not so princess-esque.

Ka[i]Lea said...

ok SERUOUSLY! THAT chain is sooo vicious! im jealous. lol now im on the hunt to make something similer.. grr YOU!

Eli said...

gothic gwenevere

alex said...

why are we always on the same page with DIY? after my body chain experience i thought, why not try a chain bra? i imagine my own margiela, you mention it. strange. anyhow, you never cease to amaze me.

katherinemae said...

love the chains! i've been wanting to create something similiar for a while until i checked out a nearby hardware store and was SHOCKED at their prices. what is it that makes a simple chain so ridiculously expensive?

The Six Six Sick Girls said...

katherinemae- it's best to buy chain from a jewelry source, like Metaliferous in NY. Or you can find a supplier online to buy at wholesale prices! Still, this top used yards and yards of chain---probably $50-$70 worth of unplated brass chain...

xxx,
Tiffany

kim said...

WOW I LOVE THIS SOO MUCH!!!!!!
its simply special!

May Kasahara said...

you girls never cease to amaze me.
I have so much love for youuu.

grace said...

so much awesomeness in one post
-i too am of the "ill only buy it if i cant make it" school of thought
-the maxi dress in its many forms reigns supreme
-velvet is just the best
-what an exciting outfit! steers clear of being costume-y because you wear it with such confidence. a++++++++

Laura. said...

wow the outfit looks great...
loving the chains
keep in touch!

http://aforteforfashion.blogspot.com

Georgie said said...

Fantastic look and fantastic ring!
x

246478CF said...

i love that crown!!! you should make multiples and sell it..... because i really want it : )

Dorian Vaine said...

The crown is amazing!
/DV

Dr. Debonaire said...

oh. my. godddddd! I think I saw you at HK Cafe brunch wearing this head piece last summer! Unless you made more than one of these? I was soooo obsessed with it bc it's such a cool piece! I can't believe I've stumbled across your blog... how random? ahhhh!

Susie Bubble said...

Medieval beauty!

Fashion Is Poison said...

the chain is incredible!

me melodia said...

That modern crown is stunning.

Can i commission you to make me one or is it a one off treasure?