Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What's Up Pussycat?



Like most Asian females, I've been enamoured with all things Hello Kitty since childhood.  During my lifetime, I've witnessed the somewhat surprising and multifarious pop cultural appropriations of the mouthless Japanese kitten, who has seen her low-brow cartoon icon status reach art star proportions, appearing in museum exhibitions alongside Takashi Murakami, as well as being sculpted by Tom Sachs, with the results currently gracing the courtyard of Lever House.


This year alone Ms. Kitty seems to be doing her fair share of dabbling in the fashion world, appearing on T-shirts at Colette, taking residence at the Opening Ceremony store, and most recently, releasing a makeup collaboration with M.A.C.  As the proud owner of a Hello Kitty toaster (which my husband despises) and waffle maker (which spits out Kitty shaped waffles), I was a bit alarmed when I found this video of the M.A.C. x Hello Kitty advertisement on Racked yesterday.  Trannies, tulle, pussycats, the color pink, and Hello Kitty herself (albeit, as an oiled-up, frog-hopping, male go-go dancer), are all things that I love and adore individually, but all put together at once in a very David Lachapelle style music video?  I know I definitely have better things to write about than this (seriously, that Rodarte dress DIY is coming), but it makes the mind-bend a little, and had to be shared.  Of course, I will probably still buy the makeup...
-Tiffany

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Georgie said said...

I really don't know what to say about that advert...
But I want a waffle maker!! That would make the mornings so much better.
x

deep_in_vogue said...

Hello Kitty is fun, there is the craziest stuff licensed under their name!

Kit said...

OMG I'm speechless. The ad is AMAZING and it has the Alice in the Wonderland feel to it. I would rather buy the collection than use it...hehe.

I have a vintage hello kitty figure (nearly 30 years old?) given to me from a dutch relative when I was a kiddy.

The Fashion Assistant

Twobreadsplease said...

Oh my word, you have a hello kitty waffle maker? They must be the best waffles in the world. The advert is a little crazy but I don't think I'll be able to resist buying some of the makeup, I can imagine the pinks already... x

LJ said...

hmmm i don't know what to make of this ad! It's cool, I could have done without it cause I was looking forard to the collection anyway!
xx-LJ from SOS!

PUG and PIPS said...

Kit said exactly what I was thinking- very Alice in Wonderland.
I love it up until about the 2 minute mark..but then when the music changes all the whimsical, fairy-tale charm disappears and it becomes sort of tacky.

oh, and Tiffany this may seem weird but I'm quite cat obsessed and collect cat related jewellery, ornaments, trinkets etc. I only own one Hello Kitty item though, a chunky ring. Definitely need to investigate in some Hello Kitty electrical appliances!

xLaura

Cheryl said...

Holy shit Hello Kitty!

Cheryl said...

Holy shit Hello Kitty!